Sunday, October 25, 2009

Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West


Have you ever heard of "The Wizard of OZ?" of Dorothy, of the Tin Man? of the Wicked Witch of the West? When I was a child I remember watching Judy Garland play the role of Dorothy and was fascinated by her adventure with her dog Toto as they try to look for their way home by following the yellow brick road. Dorothy was tasked to ger rid of the Wicked Witch of the West and fans of this story grew up hating the Wicked Witch of the West.
A few years back as I was in Powerbooks I stumbled upon this book --- Wicked by Gregory Maguire. My interest was perked by the title of the book and the synopsis of the book, as a result I bought the book and read it. The moment that I started reading the first page to the last page of the book I fell in love with how Gregory Maguire wrote the story and my heart went to the main character of the book --- Elphaba, The Wicked Witch of the West!
For those bookworms who haven't read the book, I urge you to read the book and fall in love with the characters of the story and fall under the spell of Gregory Maguire.